Monday, January 26, 2009

Do you Tweet?

I got a Twitter account this summer after reading about it on an airplane. Sounded silly and fun. Turns out, in my little circle, I'm the only one who uses it. (If you don't know what it is, visit twitter here.)

After using it sparsely for a few months, a long lost friend found me on Facebook and then I found her on Twitter. Now I use it daily. It's good for a giggle and some people use it to grow their online businesses. There are many who argue that updating Facebook status reports is challenging enough; these people are the same who think there is nothing they need to report that others need to know.

While I see the point, I can't deny the fun and amazement it gives me. There are people following me who are literally "rock stars" of their industries. Most of the people who see my updates don't know me, never met me wouldn't recognize me if I tweeted them silly. In theory, they should not care that I just had a honeycrisp apple with peanut butter down the center. And maybe they don't.

What is fun for me is the questions it raises about the kind of life we live now: separated, busy, disjointed, technified. It also begs the relational question of what makes one tweeter decide to follow another tweeter. Sometimes there are clues like common interests; other times it seems out of the blue.

More fun is the challenge of writing in 140 words something interesting, informative and maybe even reassuringly cryptic. Again, this brings me back to belonging, community, being a part of something. Don't have any answers, just more to ponder. And you can follow me on twitter, user name jenluit.

No comments:

Post a Comment