Monday, February 9, 2009

Hat Juggling

So, here's what I'm thinking about today. I'm just gonna throw this out there because I want to see what you all have to say about this topic.

Sometimes it seems I am the sum of the hats I wear: mom, wife, daughter, sister, business owner, crafter, friend, Christian, reader, consumer, etc. etc. etc. But I rail against that because those are things I do, not who I am (with the exception of Christian because that is a slightly nuanced relationship). There is a disconnect. The sum of those roles does not equal capital M me.

Do you ever feel limited by your definitions of self? Please leave a comment on the blog. You don't even have to have an account; no one needs to know its from you. I just want to hear what you think.

1 comment:

  1. YES - I am a speech therapist, mom, wife, PTA vice president, market day chair, student supervisor, school volunteer, Catholic Christian, great cook, overlwhelmed woman, dieter, friend, lover...so WHO the heck AM I????? I hear you.

    ReplyDelete